A Voluntary Grammar School places increased responsibility for education on local communities and the governance is overseen by the Board of Governors. The Board is ultimately responsible for the management and performance of a Voluntary Grammar School for its pupils.
The Board is comprised of Governors which are nominated Representatives, Trustees, Teacher Representatives, Parental Representatives and Departmental Representatives, with the school’s Principal on the board in an ex-officio capacity.
A Governor is a voluntary position which requires but is not limited to the following:
- Identifying the school’s goals and vision
- Advising and measuring the school’s performance
- Determining a school’s policies
- Advise on the planning process, including the planning of the school curriculum
- Outlining the role and responsibilities of the Principal and senior staff
- Advising on issues such as employment, pastoral care and child protection
- Advising and managing community relations
- Overall support to school staff, parents and pupils
To find current Governor vacancies please visit the Public Appointments page .